Sunday, November 13, 2005

Colored Stars

It has been a clear day all day, and now into the night, clear, clear.

My eyes are succumbing to age. I went to a real eye doctor for the first time on Thursday morning. My right eye has been going from bad to worse. It is astigmatism as it turns out. As one ages astigmatism gets worse. My left eye is no longer perfect either so, I am getting glasses.

Tonight however, the stars seem clear and sharp. The edges of the moon are perfect with only a bit of double image angling up due to the astigmatism. What will they look like with glasses when they arrive?

It is an unusual night. Something in our lowland air has intensified the colors of the stars. Betelgeuse in the shoulder of Orion and Aldebaran half way from there to Mars are both red coals, while at Orion’s foot Rigel shines blue. Above them Capella is yellow-white. Mars itself is so bright and orange, and the Moon waxing, close to full sheds blue-white light, drenching the landscape in cool dreaminess.

I am always amazed that some don’t see the color in the stars I am also amazed that some don’t see color in their dreams. In fact many see no clear images at all in their dreams. My dreams are as vivid and full sensory as real life, perhaps even more so. Sometimes I confuse the two.

Tonight I have a fire in my fireplace, a half of a bottle of a nice red wine awaits. Jazz plays cool and warm on my stereo. A late, yet heavily scented rose blooms from a bottle that once held pear cognac brought from Paris.

It is now, here, officially my birthday.

4 comments:

transparency said...

Happy birthday. It is indeed a beautiful gift to see the stars so clealy colored.(ah, wonderful Betelgeuse!)
The sky's gift for you.

Jess said...

Happy birthday, Heather. :)

Skywolf said...

Happy birthday! :) Ah, Rigel... so very beautiful. I love this time of year for stars. Orion is back!!

Emma said...

I'm a bit late, but happy birthday! *huge grin* Enjoy the cognac from Paris, eh?