Saturday, July 15, 2006

After the Hailstorm

We have had good strong thunderstorms on and off for the last couple of weeks. On monday some came through while I was at work. There were no tornado warning with them. They seemed to be ordinary thunderstorms. A few hours later I drove home, less than a 15 minute drive. As I approached my house I noticed that things looked... odd. As I pulled into my driveway it was clear some strange event has happened. The ends of banches and leaves from trees littered the ground. Leaves were plastered up the side of my house, up all my windows stuck as if glued there.

Had there been som kind of mini-tornado?

When I stepped out of the car I saw a container that I had been mixing potting soil in now had water 4 inches deep in it. It had been dry and empty in the morning. I have two pots of begonias by my breezeway door. The one on the east side was pulverized, the one on the west side, sheltered from west approaching weather by the side of the house, was fine.














Suddenly it hit me. Hail.

I ran around an checked all my plants. My hostas were shredded, branches were broken off my tomatoes, huge holes punched in my squash leaves, lettuce pounded into the ground.

The plants are slowly recovering, though I am stuck with this summer's hostas being shredded. I am still cleaning up


5 comments:

Emano said...

Those are sad pictures.

Archie Furrows said...

Good grief, that storm caused some damage there. Very sad.

Skywolf said...

Aw, that's heartbreaking, Heather. It's so awful when plants you've nurtured and hoped to see come to fruition are ruined before you get to enjoy them fully. I hope the ones that can recover do, and speedily.

You must have a very different hosta to the ones I have growing in a pot. Their leaves are very tough... I'd be surprised if they'd suffer that kind of damage.

myo said...

Oh what a terrible mess.
And you didn't even get to see the hailstorm. That seems particularly unfair.

H said...

Yes, exactly. I would have liked to see the hailstorm. I have only ever seen regular hail, not the big dramatic stuff.