Wednesday, November 22, 2006

half full?

I was talking to a friend on the phone tonight about various people and their half-full or half-empty approaches to life. After she also described her view I paused and thought for a couple of seconds.

I think I would pour the contents of the glass into a graduated cylinder and measure it. Then I would fill the glass with water, to the brim, and pour that into a second cylinder and measure that. Then I could express as a fairly accurate fraction what the volume had been in the glass compared to capacity. I would also add that it is relative. If the glass only held the original amount, then it would have been full, if the glass held ten times as much then the glass would be mostly empty. Then question those around, “would you choose to have an entirely full glass? One that has an equal amount of free space? or one that is mostly empty, but all three with the same volume?

My answer? If there is a good red wine involved, best if the glass is large and mostly empty, so the wine can breathe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would prefer my glass be nearly empty, having previously contained something fun mixed with vodka. Or tequila. I'm not picky.

Archie Furrows said...

If the glass has a capacity twice that of the actual liquid contained therein, it's been over designed (by a factor of 2 in the first case mentioned).

Since a 1.5 safety factor is all that is really needed, I suggest we redesign the glass to reduce material costs and save weight, whilst meeting both the same customer requirements, quality and, most important of all, safety.

;)

Skywolf said...

Pah. Engineers. *rolls eyes*

If there's good red wine involved, I'd go for half empty, as it means the glass will soon be ready for a refill. :)

Archie Furrows said...

If it's good wine, just keep 'er topped up, friend!

keppet said...

I hate talking about life in terms of metaphors. Just say what you mean, people, and don't try to be clever about it because it just opens the door to misunderstanding.

Skywolf said...

Hmm. I wasn't using a metaphor, personally. I was being quite literal, thereby deliberately missing the point of the metaphor entirely.