Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I'm Dreaming of a White... day in January?

I love snow. We had a nice little fall of maybe 6 inches back in early December. It was lake enhanced, light and fluffy and full of glittering, lacey, perfect snowflacks. It lasted a few days. Usually in late December or early January the cold sets in and it snows and stays. Temperatures do not get above freezing sometimes for weeks. Right now it is bright and sunny and in the 50s (F). Our temperatures are not projected to make it down to the average HIGHS for the forseeable future. That projection is into mid-january, the coldest time of the year here. No snow.

I want a roaring fire and hot spiced wine, or a hot buttered rum on a snowy night. I want the lovely hush of falling snow. This winterlessness is making me cranky.

I just put brand new snow tires on my car. I will be driving back and forth accross the Alleghenies and Pocanoes in the next few weeks, who knows, maybe there will be some snow up there and I'll need them.

Glodal warming, El Nino, whatever, one of our four seasons may be missing this year. There is still live lettuce and chard down in my vegetable garden. I suppose I should eat some of it.

4 comments:

Skywolf said...

I want a roaring fire and hot spiced wine, or a hot buttered rum on a snowy night. I want the lovely hush of falling snow. This winterlessness is making me cranky.

Oh, me too!! I'm seriously hating ths mild weather we're having as well. Apart from those couple of frosty mornings, it's been stupidly mild here as well.

I adore winter. I hate the fact that global warming is likely to cheat me of my favourite season. I could have thrown something at the TV the other night when the weather reporter said, after declaring rain and wind, 'But the good news is, it's staying mild!' Argh! Good news my arse.

Hmph. Perhaps we should move to Greenland, Heather.

Skywolf said...

Oh, and I have live parsley. I like the fact that I can still go out into the garden and pick some for my juice, but it shouldn't be here at this time of year! Bah.

H said...

Yes. I'll vote for Alaska, It's pretty spectacular there too.

Skywolf said...

Mmm, Alaska.

*happy sigh*