Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Fireworks

Two of my neighbors spent several hundred dollars on fireworks and I was invited over to watch the display. So, I took a break from grading to be neighborly and see the pride and joy of the two men. Quite illegal, but since one of them is a cop, little fear of the law. I wonder if the law is enforced at all here? If it is I would not be surprised to learn that it is enforced preferentially in the black neighborhoods, this being not the most enlightened of locations.

In any case it was a fairly nice display for home fireworks with some large, some loud, some wild spinning shrieking things. My favorites were some variations on Roman Candles that would shoot up colored balls that would then explode into sparkling showers or those brilliant white explosions that are so very loud. When those bright white flashing, forceful exploding, ones go in a rapid array it overwhelms the senses, leaving no room for anything, any thought, but the sound and vision.

FLASH-BANG!

My grades are due in 6 hours. Time to sleep.

2 comments:

keppet said...

What was illegal? Home firework displays? Crazy country... though that would explain why I didn't hear much last night.

Last fireworks night in the UK, kids were running through the streets carrying lit rockets. I kept indoors...

(Be wary of leaving comments on people's blogs... hee hee. Oops, look at what I have done. Nothing to see there. Honest, move along and don't be nosey.)

Narrisch said...

No, crazy is watching a million acres of forest go up in flames because someone burned a single piece of paper when they shouldn't have. Crazy is watching the smoke from your porch and wondering if the next day will see your house left in a little pile of embers.

I guess in a country that suffers from perpetual rot you wouldn't understand exactly how much damage some 'harmless' little fireworks can do.