Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Value of a Job

I am a professor. My faculty is unionized. We are on strike. We may settle tonight.

As a scientist, I could have made a salary two or three times more if I had gone into industry instead of academia. Instead, I chose to have intellectual freedom, control over what I do, the joy of basic research, and the personal rewards of opening young minds to the wonders of the natural world.

To get here I went to college at 17, worked as a technician for some years, went to graduate school for five years, earning two Masters and my PhD, and worked as a post-doc for four years. I had five first author papers in and four more that I was a middle author, all published in excellent peer reviewed journals. I applied for and was awarded grant money, I worked 60+ hours a week for years and years. I had student loans, which I have since paid off. I finally got my first real job at the age of 38. It was hard, wonderful, but hard.

Now I have tenure, and I am an Associate Professor. Somehow I am making over $15,000 less than average for a Professor of my rank at a public institution. My University’s contract offer, though better than the original one, will not keep up with inflation. So, in three more years, I can expect to be farther behind the average.

My country’s President doesn’t seem to care in any material way about higher education. My State governor has shifted money away from higher education to give tax breaks to businesses. My University, all my state’s universities, lost millions of dollars in funding over the last few years, in spite of increasing enrollment. My University is to get another 1.5 million dollar cut this year. Apparently universities are now less valuable than they used to be in our politicians eyes.

I was hired to teach two courses a term and run a research lab, training undergrads and grad students to do independent research. Now I teach three to four classes a term and still try to run a laboratory. I do not get paid to run my lab in the summer, but if I am not there my students flounder, needing advice and support. In lectures I teach over 500 students every year in non-majors biology, fundamentals of molecular and cellular biology, genetics, and virology. Fortunately I am single and can devote more of my life to my work than most of my colleagues can reasonably be expected to.

On the other hand, I get paid a reasonable middle class salary. I am not in dire need. In this inexpensive community paying my bills is easy on what I earn. I do not want a Hummer, my Honda is fine, I do not need a mansion, my house is in a lovely location, I do not need to go on cruises or buy designer clothes or go to Spas. I could use a maid and a guy to mow the lawn, but if my house gets particularly messy late in the term, or my shaggy lawn with dandelions irritate my neighbors it is not terribly important.

My problem is that I think that a Professor should be worth more. Are we not valuable? We have worked long and hard to get where we are. We try to better the lives of hundreds of people every year. Should we not be even more valuable as society becomes more and more advanced in technology, as health care becomes more complex?

Why do CEOs, and University Presidents, get big pay and benefit increases, why do businessmen, money managers, lawyers and marketers make so very much money. Why are their skills so much more valued than mine?

And, why is my value decreasing?

I do not yet know which way I will vote. I do not want to hurt my students. I do not want to feel trampled because of that.

7 comments:

Emma said...

I had no idea you had two Masters, H. *grin*

Isn't it always the way, though? Academics get screwed? Of course, they should be getting paid more. One can only hope that it'll get better.

Skywolf said...

Why am I not surprised at your President's attitude? *shakes head in dismay*

Your work is so very valuable, Heather. I shall be hoping, with Em, that the situation gets better.

skittledog said...

I honestly cannot think of a truly well-paid, 'worthwhile' job. The money obviously lives with the large companies making the huge and possibly unethical profits.

But isn't it natural that the jobs which are more rewarding in a non-monetary way do also pay less?

I agree it's infuriating, though. And why on earth your salary should be decreasing in real terms...pfah.

skittledog said...

*wipes feet*

I'm sorry, I seem to have tracked the spam in here with me...

H said...

hmmmm, can't figure out what the trigger was Skit.

Any bright ideas?

H said...

I can't figure out the trigger so I am going to enable verification and see if that helps

biped said...

I will never understand how one persons effort can be worth 60 times another persons effort. Even if an CEO did more for society and the world at large (an extremely debatable point), how could they be paid the same as 60 other people breaking their backs to keep society functioning? What scares me about this scenario is that many people truly believe that the people who know how to exploit others for their own good deserve to be paid highly, while the schmocks who work in the public sector are just losers who are too daft to get the good jobs.