Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Garden August 1, 2006

It has been hot and humid. The heat index is 105 (41 C). However, the sun and rain have helped the plants recover from the hailstorm a few weeks ago. My tomatoes are growing tall and the first few tomatoes are ripe. My sunflowers are huge. The zucchini are producing nicely and the winter squash are starting to flower. I have hot peppers and more hot peppers, some ready to pick already. The lettuce wants to bolt, it is time to plant the next batch. My beans are clambering up their poles, and my basil is lush. It has rained so much that I have only had to set up the sprinkler once or twice all summer.

Of course the weeds grow at as fast of a pace. I spent a good chunk of yesterday pulling thistles, then edging the veggie beds with my weed whacker, then mowing that area, back of the back. I came in periodically to cool down a bit, then stopped when it started to pour. Of course much work needs to be done in the front. In a great growing summer I could be a full time gardener, and barely keep up.

So, here it is, “Growth”


9 comments:

Emano said...

What luscious greenness.

Archie Furrows said...

That looks great, H!

What's a weed whacker? It sounds like fun and I think I want one.

H said...

You would love a weed whacker. Pole with handle, motor (mine is electric) spinning a heavy nylon line, sheilded on your side, open in front. squeeze trigger and the line flies around cutting down all plant material in it's path. Great for edging along walls, bed borders etc. And alternative to hand trimming with garden clippers down on your hands and knees. Also good for getting areas that have escaped the height that the mower can handle. Great tool!
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_8/601-1762823-9122510?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0007KY5JU
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/series/ho_line_trimmers_series.html

Skywolf said...

Weed whacker = strimmer. ;)

That's such a pretty vegetable garden, Heather. I'd love to grow veggies. It must be so satisfying when you pick them after all that hard work.

Archie Furrows said...

Strimmer.

Phooey.

It sounded so much more promising!

H said...

Strimmer? Funny Brits. It IS a cool thing, though my shins are all nicked because I was using it to edge in shorts and it spat fragments of stuff at high velocities at my legs *sigh*.

Skywolf said...

Heh heh. Beloved does the strimming around here. Every so often, he comes inside with an utterly disgusted look on his face because he's been happily strimming away at a dense patch of long grass only to find, too late, that one of the dogs has left a nice little present in there for him. By the time he realises, fragments of it have been spat everywhere... mainly on him.

Yuck.

myo said...

Very impressive.

transparency said...

I'd love strolling in your garden, and look at all these plants.

You must meet loads of bugs while taking care of them, I bet !